Tombs of prisoners of war and partisans dead in Belgium during the Second World War

Terug

Robertville (Orthodox cross)

In the area of the village of Surbrotd, the municipality of Robertville, Liège province (South-East of Brussels), in the Natural Park of Fan Tirife there is a memorable wooden Orthodox cross with an inscription in French “Russian prisoners of 1940–1945” (“Prisonniers russes 1940–1945”). It was established in 1963 by the authorities of the municipality in memory of Soviet prisoners of war who worked and lived in barracks in this area in 1941–1945. There is a reason to believe that we can talk about the separation of the labor camp “Asselborn”.

According to local residents, at least two of the prisoners of war who died during this period are buried at the memorial cemetery in Nidrum.


 



Dear visitors,

We would like to draw your attention to the fact that spelling of the names, surnames and places of birth of Soviet citizens buried in Belgium may be distorted due to the fact that they are quite often written only in Flemish and French in registration books and on monuments.

We thank the Brussels-Belgian Archdiocese of the Russian Orthodox Church, the organizations of Russian compatriots and Russian foreign institutions accredited in Belgium for providing photos and their efforts to preserve the memory of the heroism of the Soviet soldiers who fell in the Great Patriotic War.

The Embassy will be grateful for providing any information and photos of Soviet military graves of the Second World War in Belgium and the ceremonies held on them. Please send material to the email address of the Embassy amrusbel@skynet.be with the note «War Graves».