Tombs of prisoners of war and partisans dead in Belgium during the Second World War

Terug

Flawinne

In 2012, the Russian Embassy in Belgium received a documentary evidence that the remains of people shot by the Gestapo in 1943–44 on the territory of the barracks (Caserne Sous-Lieutenent Thibaut), now Musée des commandos, were buried at the municipal cemetery of the village of Flawinne, a suburb of Namur. Among the dead were Soviet and Yugoslav partisans, as well as Belgian underground workers.

The names of two Soviet citizens buried here have been established:
MIKHEEV Nikolay (born in Moscow, died 23.08.1944)
OSACHUK, Ivan (born 21.06.1926 Lozovaya station, died 01.12.1943)

According to some reports, one of the unknown buried here was a Soviet prisoner of war or a partisan.

In 2013, at the expense of the Embassy, repair works were carried out at this burial site.

L’Ambassade remercie M. Guy Deudon, administrateur délégué du Musée des commandos pour son assistance et l’information fournie.

The Embassy thanks Mr. Guy Dedon, curator of Musée des commandos, for the assistance and information provided.

Annual memorial ceremonies

2019

2018

2017

             

      

2013



Dear visitors,

We would like to draw your attention to the fact that spelling of the names, surnames and places of birth of Soviet citizens buried in Belgium may be distorted due to the fact that they are quite often written only in Flemish and French in registration books and on monuments.

We thank the Brussels-Belgian Archdiocese of the Russian Orthodox Church, the organizations of Russian compatriots and Russian foreign institutions accredited in Belgium for providing photos and their efforts to preserve the memory of the heroism of the Soviet soldiers who fell in the Great Patriotic War.

The Embassy will be grateful for providing any information and photos of Soviet military graves of the Second World War in Belgium and the ceremonies held on them. Please send material to the email address of the Embassy amrusbel@skynet.be with the note «War Graves».